Turf cutting ceremony held at Ysgol Cedewain

Turf cutting ceremony held at Ysgol Cedewain

By All About Newtown

1 year ago 1660 views


A turf-cutting ceremony, marking the start of work on the building of a brand-new school in Newtown for pupils with additional learning needs, has taken place

Powys County Council and its contractor Wynne Construction has started to build the new replacement building for Ysgol Cedewain in Newtown.

The project is being funded by the Welsh Government, who will provide 75% of the project costs under its Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme. The remaining 25% will be funded by the council.

  Sign up today

Click here to get your free All About Newtown account today and get localised stories and much more.

19 stories left to view without an account.

The turf-cutting ceremony, which marked the official start of the works, took place on Wednesday, 13 July.

Attending the ceremony were representatives from Powys County Council, pupils and staff from Ysgol Cedewain and representatives from Wynne Construction, who are building the new school.

The new build will replace very poor accommodation at the current Ysgol Cedewain school, and will include facilities for very vulnerable learners, including a hydrotherapy pool, sensory and physiotherapy rooms and garden as well as a community cafe.

It will enable staff to teach in a learning environment that is fit-for-purpose, and for parents to have the confidence that their children are being supported within the best facilities and accommodation.

Cllr Pete Roberts, Cabinet Member for a Learning Powys, said:

"I'm extremely pleased that work to build a new replacement school for Ysgol Cedewain has started.  This project will see the council provide a world-class facility for the county's most vulnerable learners.

"I would like to thank the Welsh Government for the funding they are providing for this project, which will allow the council to provide an environment where teaching staff and thrive and give vulnerable learners the facilities that meets their needs, they benefit from and enables them to enjoy learning."

Steve Davies, construction director at Wynne Construction, said:

"We're proud to be working once again with Powys County Council on the design and build of such a prestigious and important investment in the Additional Learning Needs provision at Ysgol Cedewain. 

"The delivery of this project expands on our vast experience in education and is the latest we have secured through the Welsh Government's Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme via the SEWSCAP3 Framework, following on from Ysgol Gymraeg Y Trallwng in Welshpool."

"The scheme is designed to deliver an outstanding education facility and inspiring environment that brings equal learning opportunities for all its pupils, as well as providing substantial opportunities via the National TOMs Framework for local contractors, apprenticeship opportunities, and additional social value-focused benefits to Newtown and the surrounding areas."

Related or similar stories based on this one

Image for the article Work to build new special school starts in July
Work to build new special school starts in July

1 year ago

Image for the article Councillors ask where is the vision for Newtown schools
Councillors ask where is the vision for Newtown schools

1 month ago

Image for the article Minister visits Newtown to see funded projects
Minister visits Newtown to see funded projects

4 months ago

Follow us

Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


Powys taxi drivers lose licences
Contractor appointed to build new council housing development
Robins beat Pontypridd at Tuesday clash
Donate to us

We're a not-for-profit community interest company and have no corporate owners. We'd appreciate anything you can give to keep us providing free content.

  Donate via PayPal
Upcoming Events
Mental Elf Festive Fun Run

03/12/23 11:00am Town Park

Christmas Concert 2023

12/12/23 07:00pm Newtown High School

Kindness at Christmas 2023

16/12/23 11:00am Town Hall Grounds

Latest Stories
Bill to tackle air and noise pollution passed in the Senedd
Robins beat Pontypridd at Tuesday clash
Christmas officially 'kicked off' in Newtown