NEWS POLITICS

Senedd petition launched over health changes

Health campaigner and Powys County Council’s anti-poverty champion Cllr Joy Jones has set up a Senedd petition in a bid to prevent Powys patients being treated like “second class citizens.”

14 hours ago   1 minute read    160 views

The image for Senedd petition launched over health changes
 
Share            Listen to the story

By Elgan Hearn
Local Democracy Reporter


Health campaigner and Powys County Council’s anti-poverty champion Cllr Joy Jones has set up a Senedd petition in a bid to prevent Powys patients being treated like “second class citizens.”

This follows a decision taken last month by Powys Teaching Health Board (PTHB) to increase the waiting times for treating Powys residents in English hospitals  as they look to bring their budget down by over £20 million next year.


  Other Trending Stories

Cllr Jones is calling on the Welsh Parliament to take: “Immediate action to prevent Powys patients treated in English hospitals from facing increased waiting times.

“This treats Powys patients as second-class citizens.

“Welsh targets apply to Welsh hospitals, shouldn’t apply to those treated in England.”

In her submission to the parliament’s Petitions committee Cllr Jones quotes the First Minister, Labour’s Eluned Morgan who said earlier this year that: “I don’t want to see people in Powys suffer and I certainly don’t want them to go to the back of the queue if they are going to be treated across the border in England.”

Cllr Jones urges: the Welsh Government to: “plug the deficit and fund PTHB fairly.”

The petition has already garnered 688 signatures.

According to the process taken with petitions, if 250 people sign the petition the Petitions committee will discuss it.

If more 10,000 people sign it, the petition will be considered for a debate on the Senedd floor.

At a meeting of Powys Teaching Health Board (PTHB) on Wednesday, March 26, board members met to agree the annual plan for 2025/2026 ahead of its submission to the Welsh Government on Monday, March 31.

PTHB needed to find savings and cuts worth over £26 million next year to move from a £38.4 million deficit to a £12 million target control deficit set by the Welsh Government.

And £8.6 million worth of savings would be made by increasing the waiting times in English hospitals to match those in Wales.

Following the meeting PTHB has said that they “anticipate” the changes would come into force on July 1.

The petition will be online until May 28.

To sign it visit: https://petitions.senedd.wales/petitions/246579 

You've viewed 1 stories so far!

All About Newtown is an independent not-for-profit online news and information service for the town of Newtown in Mid Wales. We provide ad-free content, so rely on reader subscriptions and donations to run.

  Donate via PayPal

Related or similar stories based on this one

Image for the article Local councillor launches petition over recycling changes
Local councillor launches petition over recycling changes

1 month ago

Image for the article Senedd budget to increase by 16%
Senedd budget to increase by 16%

6 months ago

Image for the article Plan to ban lying politicians ‘unworkable’
Plan to ban lying politicians ‘unworkable’

9 months ago

Business of the Week
Garth Owen Stores

Garth Owen

Follow us

Connect with us on Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), Instagram and Google News

     

Trending
Senedd petition launched over health changes

14 hours ago

Donate to us

We're a not-for-profit community interest company and have no corporate owners. We'd appreciate anything you can give to keep us providing free content.

  Donate via PayPal
Upcoming Events
Business Wales: Entrepreneurship and Start-Up Service

22/04/25 11:00am

Business Wales: Entrepreneurship and Start-Up Service (FREE)

22/04/25 11:00am

Hearing Clinic

22/04/25 11:00am

Latest Stories
Senedd petition launched over health changes

14 hours ago

See what's on next week in our area (W14)

6 days ago

Calls to sack education chief after damming report

1 week ago